File Transfer Protocol, or FTP for short, is a standard network protocol that’s essential for transferring files from one computer to another via a network, typically the Internet.
FTP is used to allow you to transfer data in an organized and secure manner, especially when it involves a massive amount of files.
Basically, FTP is responsible for transferring files or content from your computer going into a website, and vice versa. The concept is almost similar to that of using a social networking site where you can upload and download files, videos, and images. But instead of processing very limited amount of data, FTP can handle large amounts of data.
An FTP client is the specific application that’s used to accommodate any data transfer. It also has faster file transfer speed even when processing huge chunks of data. Web hosting providers would usually include an FTP service in their hosting plans. In this case, the FTP will be automatically set up. However, you also have the option to add others users whenever necessary.
Why Do You Need FTP?
FTP is an essential part of your hosted site because it allows you to transfer large files quickly and systematically while maintaining its secured transfer using an FTP client. These are typically local files that are stored in your computer, like databases or source files, and audio and video files that are stored in your hard drive.
Considering the amount of data involved, an FTP client is vital in uploading massive amounts of files. Otherwise, it would be impossible to make a file transfer.
iPage is one of the leading web hosting companies in the industry, helping millions of websites to get a strong online presence for over a decade. It’s the top choice among web developers and website owners because of their affordable yet quality hosting plans and services.
What’s more, iPage regularly offers special discounts and sales promotions. Right now, they are offering a special Independence Day Sale of only $1.99/month for their Essential Plan (basic web hosting package). That’s 80% off its regular price of $8.99/month!
When you sign up with iPage, you will get the following features and services in their Essential Plan:
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Unlimited email accounts
- Free domain registration
- Unlimited hosting space
- An integrated site builder
- Unlimited MySQL databases
- SimpleScripts applications installer
- And more!
iPage does more than web hosting because they’re also an advocate of Green technology. This means that all websites hosted by iPage are 100% powered by wind power. This is how the company gives back to the environment by helping reduce greenhouse gas emissions from numerous servers. [Insert Green]
Connect Using FTP
iPage includes FTP in their web hosting plans. Configuring and setting up FTP is automatically done for iPage account holders that include FTP in their chosen plan. Here’s how you can use the FTP client with iPage:
- Login using your iPage hosting account username and password. You must provide a login name and password for your FTP account and you don’t need to worry about losing it because iPage has a “single-access” policy. It means that for your FTP account, the login name and password is the same as your iPage hosting account’s Login name and password.
- iPage Host Name or IP Address. iPage FTP address is in the ftp.ipage.com format and when you are able to see your website’s resources on your FTP client’s directory folder, it means that you have connected successfully. This will then be sent to where all your iPage-related files are stored, which is the iPage directory.