Unfortunately, it seems that over the last 6 months, eHost's support and billing practices have both moved in the wrong direction. Due to high negative feedback, we do NOT recommend eHost.
- Cheap intro pricing
- Free domain name for 1 year
- Easy to use cPanel control panel
- Nice website builder and templates
- 1-Click Wordpress install
- High negative feedback from customers
- Only offers generic shared hosting (no Wordpress-optimized hosting, VPS, cloud or dedicated servers)
- Expensive renewal pricing
- No free website migration service
Is eHost a wise choice for your website?
Try this quick 2-minute quiz to receive a customized hosting recommendation.
This review is long and packed with detail.
To save you time, here’s a summary of my recent eHost analysis:
eHost Review Summary (new updates for June 2017)
- I’m alarmed by the number of customers who emailed us saying eHost charged their cards but their account never got set up; and eHost support doesn’t tell them why or fix it, but they seem to have no problem continuing to bill them…
- They don’t accept domain transfers (BlueHost does)
- They don’t offer free website transfers (BlueHost does)
- Low up front price but high renewal fees
- Poor customer support (you ask a question, someone gives canned answer, you reply, they never reply again… you start another ticket, same thing happens, etc… not good!)
Tip: If you’re considering migrating your site away from eHost due to poor service, I recommend BlueHost. They are an industry leader. BlueHost offers fast, reliable hosting with industry-leading customer support with a 30-day money back guarantee.
If you’d like to research BlueHost more, see my full review of all their plans here (opens in a new tab).
You may also wish to try my best hosting quiz with results customized to your needs.
So, back to eHost: Below, you’ll find my original review from when my outlook on eHost was more positive. However, any links that were going to eHost have now been redirected to BlueHost, as I will not allow this page to promote eHost.
Hi, I’m Johnny. For this review, I signed up for eHost to test it out.
While I had no problems with my account,
I decided to keep my account and add 2 more websites (you can host unlimited sites on one hosting account).
Today marks 1 year I’ve been using eHost, and I have one big regret…
However, before we talk about pricing: Is eHost right for your website? Let’s see…
eHost IS for you if…
- You want to start a website with WordPress
- You want to launch a professional site for your business and maybe even sell your products/services online.
- You want affordable hosting that is easy to use with no contract and no hidden fees.
- You want the peace of mind knowing you have access to features advanced users may want, such as SSH access.
eHost is NOT for you if…
- If you want a high-end VPS, reseller or dedicated server
- If your website will have extraordinarily high bandwidth and storage requirements (example: a software download site). Less than 1% of websites in the world fit in this category.
Feeling like eHost might be for you? Great – You can save money, create a better website faster, and spend more time where it matters – creating more content, driving more traffic, and generating more leads and sales if you want.
You see, for most websites, anything above $15/month is probably overkill and you’ll use a fraction of the resources you’re paying for.
eHost is now offering website hosting for 50% off until October 22nd. You can get your hosting plan for just $2.75/month including a free domain for life by clicking here if the limited time offer is still going on.
*If you buy a cPanel hosting account with eHost, you can host unlimited websites on that account. If you buy a website builder account with eHost, you can only create one website on that account. All accounts, whether cPanel or Website Builder, are managed from within one customer portal, so you don’t need to worry about multiple logins and passwords.
With that said, let’s continue with this in-depth review…
Here’s my experience with eHost:
I know you want a platform that gives you everything you’ll ever need to host and manage a great website.
I’ve been testing eHost for over 8 weeks now, so if you’re thinking about using them, read this review.
You can click on any of the quick navigation links below to go to that section of the review.
How To Create Your Site
Pick Your Hosting: cPanel hosting or Website Builder
Video: How To Start A Blog In Under 10 Minutes
Video: How To Make A Site From Scratch With eHost’s Website Builder
Free Domain Name For LIFE (unique benefit)
What The eHost Team Thinks You’ll Like About Their Service
My Review Summary
Value For Money Analysis
Website Builder Notes
Website Templates Notes
Any Other Good Features?
A+ Customer Service Experience
45 Day Money Back Guarantee
$5.98/mo $2.75/mo sale (50% off)
How To Create Your Site
Step 1: When you’re logged into your eHost account, and you want to create a new site, just click the “create new site” button.
If you’d like to follow along, you can click here to open eHost in a new tab.
Step 2: Pick The Hosting You Want
In your account, you’ll find two powerful hosting options for each site you want to launch, and I’ll be reviewing both here for you.
Option 1: cPanel Hosting (RECOMMENDED CHOICE. See Video Below)
cPanel Hosting is normal web hosting with the most robust, well-organized and feature filled control panel available, cPanel.
Here’s what cPanel looks like on eHost. I personally like their custom theme. It’s very modern and easy to navigate to all important tools and settings. By default, cPanel is pretty cluttered because it’s filled with so many features. So eHost have done a great job making it more user friendly while retaining all features.
You may be wondering…
should I choose the cPanel hosting option, then?
Here’s what you would use cPanel hosting for:
- start a blog with WordPress,
- or set up an online shop
- launch a professional site for your business
- anything you want, to be honest!
- Plus you get features like FTP access, MySQL, 1-click WordPress setup, and more.
- For the devs out there, I discovered they also offer SSH access.
In the spirit of this review, I want to show you how to set up a site on eHost using their cPanel hosting and WordPress:
Ready to get started? Don’t miss out on your 50% discount for eHost. Last I heard, it’s available until October 22nd. However, they may extend the sale. Who knows 🙂 Anyway, you can get your hosting plan by clicking here if the limited time offer is still going on.
Option 2: Website Builder (not recommended)
eHost’s drag-and-drop website builder is super-easy yet powerful, so you can create a beautiful website from scratch. When you’re creating/editing, what you see is what you get.
When you choose Website Builder, you get to create your website from scratch using drag-and-drop. Choose from 1000s of Free Templates. No coding skills required. Anyone can build a great-looking site.
Now you may be wondering…
The website builder looks cool, but I’m not 100% sure I want that instead of cPanel Hosting. What if i sign up for a Website Builder account, and I decide I want to use the cPanel Hosting instead? Can I switch?
The answer is yes, thankfully. It’s not instant, however it can be done without paying anything extra. Simply contact their support by chat, phone or email, and tell them you want to switch. They’ll refund your entire original payment and confirm once it’s processed. Then you can login to your eHost account and click “Create New Website” and choose cPanel Hosting.
Step 3: Choose Your Domain Name
From there, you’ll be asked to pick a domain name. It can be a new one, or a domain you already own. Either way works. Once you’ve signed up and chosen your domain name, you can set up your site, just as shown in the videos above covering the cPanel Hosting or Website Builder.
What does FREE Domain actually mean for you – in the fine print?
They proudly claim to give you a “Free Domain Name” just like 99% of hosting providers you’ve seen, ever. But what does that really mean?
You see, most hosting companies say you get a free domain name (yoursite.com or whatever you like)… But then after your first year is up, you find out they charge you anywhere from $15/year to $20/year or more just to keep your domain name you thought was free the whole time.
Yes, that price structure is be the industry standard, however eHost agrees it’s a jerk move.
That’s why eHost gives you a FREE Domain For Life.
Let’s see how eHost’s domain offer and terms compare to other top hosts:
|eHost||iPage||HostGator Baby Plan|
|$2.75/mo (50% OFF)||$1.99/mo (83% OFF)||$5.95/mo (60% OFF using coupon BUILDPATH)|
|(Free For Life)||(1 Year Free)|
Domain Renewal Cost (yearly)
Can I Use Other Registrar?
All plans include a free domain for as long as you keep hosting your site(s) with eHost. Obviously if you move your domain and site to another company, you’d be responsible for paying those other service providers for the domain and hosting since eHost wouldn’t be involved anymore. To put it simply, when you host with eHost, you get a free domain forever.
Note: If you already own a domain somewhere else, you can transfer it to your eHost account, or simply keep it where it is and point it to your eHost account. When you sign up, you get an email with account information, including nameservers to point your domain name to, if you own it with another company like eNom, GoDaddy, NameCheap, etc.
Set up WordPress, and start building your website using easy drag and drop tools. It’s all covered step-by-step in How To Make A Great Website With WordPress on eHost.
Why does eHost think you’ll like using their services?
It’s clear their team is proud of these three things:
- how easy it is to set up a website on their platform
- their friendly 24/7 phone support based exclusively in the United States and Canada… So you won’t experience that dreadful feeling when the person on the other end answers in a thick accent, “hello this is Mark Johns, what company are you calling about please?” LOL *shudder* — Yeah, none of that BS with eHost. Just a friendly expert who can help you instead of running around in circles.
- You get all the best features of modern web hosting and website builders, at the best price.
If you want a full-featured web hosting service with no restrictions on the type of website you can create then eHost.com is definitely a wise choice for you.
They give you two options; normal web hosting that you can use to host anything like blog an online store business website or whatever you want; or you can use their website builder. eHost’s website builder is excellent. It’s powerful, easy to use and includes over 1000 high quality templates with fresh, contemporary designs.
Value For Money
eHost gives you fantastic value for money. They offer one hosting plan at
$2.99 $2.75/month, which gives you normal web hosting plus the option to use their excellent website builder. One of my favorite parts of this unique hosting plan is that they give you a FREE domain name for life. Last I checked, all their competitors only give you a free domain for the first year. So going with eHost will save you around $12-$20 a year in domain costs alone.
In addition to the benefits above, you also get free advertising credits, unlimited email addresses, and unlimited bandwidth.
If you’ve read any of my web hosting reviews, you probably noticed I have been a big fan of a different company called iPage. Not anymore… Not after what I experienced with eHost…
eHost’s website builder honestly puts pretty much everybody else’s to shame. Here’s a screenshot of my test site I set up…
Their website builder is powerful and drag-and-drop easy.
Most web hosting companies offer at least some templates you can use for your website. So what makes eHost any different?
Here’s the thing…
Unlike most web hosting providers, eHost’s templates are fresh. Here’s what I mean by fresh:
- The designs are layouts are current and contemporary.
- They look like they were designed this year, not 5 years ago.
I also like the variety of templates available…
- Your hosting plan includes over 1,000 unique, free website templates.
- You can choose from generic-looking templates that could be used for any type of site; or you can choose a template specifically designed for your topic/niche.
- No need to waste time browsing through unorganized grids of templates… You can search by keyword and instantly see templates designed for your website type.
Update: Many of our visitors sent in questions about eHost’s website builder templates. So, Bryan made this video covering eHost’s templates”
Any Other Good Features?
eHost’s plan includes much more than you’d get from a company that only offers a website builder. These features are particularly useful for more serious and more advanced customers. You get FTP access, a one-click installer for scripts like WordPress and other CMS/blogging/online shopping scripts. A cool boat is that I like is the free advertising credits – great to help market your products or business and drive sales. Last but not least, you also receive free cloud storage.
My Customer Service Experience
All popular web hosting providers offer 24/7 phone email and chat support. That sounds good at first, but the quality of support is usually very poor.
For example… When was the last time you felt taken care of after talking with a support agent in a chat box? I don’t remember the last time I had a good experience with chat support. In fact I usually ended the conversation feeling like the person I was chatting with had no idea what they were doing, and they were just there to submit support tickets to the real support people on my behalf. In other words, they’re usually not real support staff.
So when I signed up for eHost, what they did shocked me…
I actually made a typo in my domain name, and didn’t notice it until the next day. I figured I wouldn’t get anywhere with chat support, but I decided I should try chat anyway, since I’m writing this review.
Here’s what happened next…
- I was welcomed by Evan over at eHost
- He was friendly and responsive
- I told him I needed the domain changed on my pending order
- He asked me to wait a few minutes while he talks with the team about it
- He updated me every 1 minute to thank me for my patience and say he’s working on it
- After 4 minutes, he said it was done and thanked me again for my patience.
- I said thanks and ended the convo
- I received an email with confirmation from the team
- My problem was solved and it only took 4 minutes of my time.
Oh, and a little nice personal touch from eHost…
45-Day Money Back Guarantee
eHost makes it simple. No weird rules and stipulations to deal with. Again, eHost shows their modern approach, in-touch with today’s customer expectations.
If you’re not satisfied with eHost, we’ll give you your money back. No questions asked. During the first 45 days, we’ll refund your hosting fees in full. If you try us and decide that eHost just isn’t for you, we think you should get your money back.
Current Discounts/Specials Available from eHost
P.S. I’m on the road so I can’t finish this review just yet – however, there is a special sale going on now that I should mention to you.
eHost is normally $5.98/mo, and I saw today it’s on sale for just $2.75/mo, so I didn’t want you to miss out because I didn’t mention it.