Content Management System (or CMS for short) us a database for all your photos, videos, articles, and other types of content. A CMS is designed to allow you to manipulate your website in any way, even without prior knowledge in programming. There’s no need for you to learn about computer programming or complex languages like HTML for you to start using it. What’s more, you can also archive your old content with CMS. You can even add, delete, or edit what you’ve posted on any web browser or on your smartphone.
CMS is quite popular among bloggers and small to medium sized businesses/companies because it’s simple and easy to use.
Examples of CMS types
Most types of CMS are available for free on the Web. If you’re looking for quality yet affordable web hosting that supports popular CMS, then look no more than iPage. Listed below are the best and most popular CMS supported by iPage:
• WordPress. WordPress is, without a doubt, the most popular and widely used CMS to date. This CMS allows you to build your own site from premade themes, as well as install plugins and widgets for various purposes. If you are running an eCommerce site, you can easily integrate PayPal and other modes of payment for faster transactions. This can be updated on-the-go by using your web browser or mobile dashboard.
• Joomla. Joomla is written in PHP and is second to WordPress in terms of popularity. It’s popular among online sellers, with features and options that are aimed at eCommerce websites. Joomla allows the use of extensions (equivalent to plugins for WordPress) when using a different programming language. Just like WordPress, you don’t need to use complex HTML code for editing modules. The templates, color schemes, and fonts can be changed with just a few simple mouse-clicks.
• Drupal. Drupal is an open source CMS that can be distributed for free. This is the platform used by whitehouse.gov because it uses a powerful statistical tool to help monitor site traffic. Its support for OpenID and its advanced search options are also great selling points. Drupal has a very supportive development team and comes with handy workflow tools that you can use whenever you need assistance while using the CMS
• B2Evolution. B2Evolution is a multi-user and multi-lingual CMS. Individual roles can be assigned based on login credentials and permissions. It has a good file manager and photo organizer, as well.
Why choose iPage’s CMS?
• Easy, real time updates. Most companies rely on a web content manager or a web designer for their updates. This is a time-consuming process and by the time your site goes live, it would already be outdated or irrelevant. With iPage, you’ll get real-time updates!
• Web presence. To establish a strong web presence, you have to be visible and up-to-date. With the right CMS, you can reply to all comments and queries as soon as they are posted by the commenter. This gives them a sense of importance.
• Non-technical. You do not need to use a fancy formula to start putting your thoughts only. Know the basics and you are good to go. There are even step by step video tutorials that you can watch online to help you.
• Scheduled publishing. If you have a file of items that you want to publish at a certain time and date, you can set your CMs to do this for you. For example, if you have three articles to put up for one day but you do not want them all to appear at the same time, you can set your CMS to show them at 7am, 1pm and 5pm. It’s that easy! You do not need to physically login and hit the publish button every time. This also assures you that you will not run out of content to publish.
• Tagging to index. Tags can be attached to photos and articles. This indexes what you have so search engines can easily find them.
iPage has made the process of building a website a whole lot easier for you. At the same time, you can save a lot of cash on site building and web hosting. You can do everything yourself!