Can I transfer my site to WebHostingHub?
The WebHostingHub hosting company supports and allows site transfers, so the answer is definitely yes. Yes, you can transfer your site to WebHostingHub. In fact, transferring your site to WebHostingHub is an easy process. However, first we need to clearly define what you need to transfer, whether only the website itself and not the domain or do you want to transfer your domain to WebHostingHub. Technically, there is a basic difference between just transferring your site to a new host and transferring your domain. While for some this may sound the same, it actually is not.
You see, the difference is that basically Domain Name Registration and Domain Hosting, also known as Web Site Hosting, as two different things. Domain Name Registration is your ownership of a domain name which, except for the settings you make in the registrar control panel, does not have much to do with your actual hosting while Domain Hosting is the company the owns the server where you put your website, including your files and folders. Your web host does not have to be the same company where you registered your domain.
The following discussion focuses on the issue of transferring a website and not the domain.
Is there an easy way to transfer my site to WebHostingHub?
One of the easiest ways to transfer your site that is previously hosted by another host to WebHostingHub is through the use of the cPanel. That is, of course, if your previous host uses cPanel. If such is the case, the process of transferring your site should be a lot easier. What you need to do first is to generate a cPanel Backup at the company that is presently hosting your website. After generating the backup, you need to download it to your desktop using the FTP or from a download link that is available in your host’s cPanel. After completing the download, you need to upload it, again using the FTP to the /home directory of your new WebHostingHub account. Of course, this means that you should previously have an account with WebHostingHub before you start transferring your site. After the upload is complete, you need to request WebHostingHub to restore your backup for you. For this purpose, you need to inform the company where you uploaded the backup. The company may also ask you to provide your password or the last four digits of your credit card, for verification purposes.
After the cPanel backup has been restored, test your website using the Temporary URL provided in your Welcome Email. After testing and finding out that the website works, you may now modify the DNS settings of your domain by pointing it to the WebHostingHub servers. This can be done by logging into the registrar for the domain and change the nameservers to ns1.webhostinghub.com and ns2webhostinghub.com. After the change is effected, wait for about 4 – 24 hours for the changes to take effect.
What should I do to transfer my domain?
To migrate your site to WebHostingHub, you need to follow the succeeding steps:
- First, download the files of your website into your desktop using the FTP Client. Note that FTP will not be able to access MySQL databases, so if your previous host offers phpMyAdmin to managing databases, you may need to export the database in phpMyAdmin.
- After the download is completed, you need to upload the files to the WebHostingHub database, again using the FTP Client. However, this time, you will connect to your hosting provider which is the WebHostingHub. However, if your site uses a database, what you need to do is to create a database first in cPanel and then import the database using phpMyAdmin.
- After uploading and placing the files in the proper location, it is time to test whether your website works. To test your website, use the temporary URL that is provided in the email that you received. It is important to note that for all WebHostingHub account, the new default folder shall be public_html.
- After the test is complete, you need to point your domain to WebHostingHub’s Nameservers by logging in to the registrar’s domain management interface and change the nameservers into ns1.webhostinghub.com and ns2.webhosting.com.
- Wait for at least 4 hours to as long as 24 hours for the changes to take full effect, however it is advised that you periodically.
How do I export a MySQL database in phpMyAdmin?
As FTP cannot access databases, there may be a need for you to export your MySQL database in phpMyAdmin. This allows you to make a backup of your database which can be used to transfer the database to another server or simply for safekeeping. To export your MySQL database, you need to follow the succeeding steps:
- First, you need to login to the cPanel.
- Then click the phpMyAdmin icon which can be found under the Databases.
- From the list in the left menu, select the database that you want to export by clicking the database name.
- Then click the Export tab.
- Make sure that all the tables and the SQL option are selected.
- Then under the “Structure”, enable the option “Add DROP TABLE/VIEW/PROCEDURE/FUNCTION.”
- If your database is large, you can compress the files by choosing “zipped” or “gzipped”. Make sure that the “Save as file” is selected.
- Then click on the Go button that is found on the bottom part of the screen.
- To download the database export to your local desktop, select “Save” when you are prompted to open or save the file. Make sure that you take full note of the file name and the location where the backup is saved.