What is a Control Panel?
A Control Panel, better known as cPanel, is an interface that you use and access to effect the administration of all the aspects of your webhosting account. This panel is typically used to control all the aspects of your site, even without the need for any additional and separate application and software.
There are a lot of control panel variants available. Some webhosts even offer and use control panels which the customized and built themselves to suit their services but the great majority of the hosting providers use the more popular platforms. WebHostingHub prefers to use cPanel, the recognized leader in the control panel industry. The cPanel can be used to edit your files, create email accounts and view the website’s statistics, among others. Although variances in appearance may be seen from one webhost to another and between programs, it is an accepted fact that they all offer similar features and functionalities.
What can I learn from my control panel?
Control panels offer a lot of useful features and functionalities. Among the most basic feature that the client can get from the control panel is the basic information of his account. At a glance, the client can see how many resources the website is using which is vital in ensuring that the website do not run the risk of exceeding the limitations of the website. Typically, you will be able to see the following information:
- The monthly bandwidth usage
- The amount of disk space used
- Paths to:
- The basin information of the hosting package
- Your version Identification
- Your IP Address
- The quantity of the following:
- FTP Accounts
- Add-on domains
- MySQL databases
- Mailing Lists
- Email Accounts
- Parked Domains
Can I manage my files using my cPanel?
Yes, you can definitely use the control panel to manage your files. In fact, the control panel is what you are to use to manage your files. You see, a good file management system is vital in each and every hosting account as the content of the website is what the whole website is all about. If the files are ill-kept and mismanaged, the website could suffer various breakdowns and cause a lot of problems. The control panel file manager allows you to easily handle the file management tasks including the task of securing the files through regular backups which are then downloaded for safekeeping. This system also allows you to create FTP accounts which you use to easily upload and download files and documents.
How can I access my cPanel?
WebHostingHub cPanel accounts can be accessed via this link: hppt://yourdomain.com/cpanel. However, if you are the owner of a new account, whose domain name has just been registered, you may not be able to access the cPanel account until after the period of 24 hours, the length of time that it usually takes for a new domain to become fully active. You may need to wait for 24 hours before you access your cPanel account. Also, you might not be able to access the cPanel via , if your domain name is not pointed to WebHostingHub’s nameservers via the hppt://yourdomain.com/cpanel link. However, you need not worry as a temporary cPanel link is made available for you. Just check your Welcome Email to check for the temporary link which should look like this //whub##.webhostinghub.com/cpanel.
Also, it is important to know that cPanel runs off ports 2082 and 2083. This is worthy of note since a lot of firewalls often block these ports. This means that if you are behind a firewall that blocks there two ports, you might not be able to access your cPanel. However, you can use the cPanel proxy, which is usually enabled by default, to access your cPanel. You can use the link, //cpanel.yourdomain.com, yourdomain being the name of your actual domain.
What other functions can my cPanel offer me?
Aside from the File Management tasks which allows you to create new folders and directories, create new files; upload and download files; move, copy and delete file and folders and change permissions; you cPanel also offers you the following features and functionalities:
- Email – It is also through the cPanel that you can administer email settings, allowing you to create email addresses and set quotas for a many accounts as allowed while also setting up your auto-responders, forwarders and mailing lists.
- Viewing the Account Statistics – cPanel offers a variety of statistical analysis options that are useful in optimizing your site. The statistics include:
- Security Monitoring
- Traffic Analysis helpful for Search Engine Optimization and site efficiency evaluation
- Latest Visitors list
- Data for Number of Visitors to the site
- Data how long each visitor stayed on the website
- Data where they left your site
- The type of browser used and where the browser navigated in the site
- Applications – you can often find these applications in your panel:
- Content Management Systems;
- Customer Support Systems;
- Classified Ad Management;
- Discussion/Forum Boards;
- eCommerce solutions;
- Image Galleries;
- Mailing Lists;
- Surveys and Polls;
- Project Management;
- Site Builders;
- Form Builders;
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Management; and